Provider Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Q: How do I become a Licensed Child Care Provider?

A: In order to get a Family Child Care Home License you must:

  1. Attend a Family Child Care Home orientation presented by Community Care Licensing.  You may contact Community Care Licensing at (323) 981-3350 or (310) 337-4333 to get the schedule of the upcoming Family Child Care Home orientations.
  2. You must complete and submit all the information and forms required in the Family Child Care Home application packet from Community Care Licensing.
  3. You must pass a home inspection by Community Care Licensing.

Q: How can Pathways help me obtain a Family Child Care Home License?

A: Pathways can help you obtain your Family Child Care Home license by:

  1. Reviewing your Family Child Care Home License application for completion;
  2. Providing partial reimbursement for Adult, Child, and Infant CPR, Child Care First Aid, and Health & Safety certification as funds are available;
  3. Providing a home visit before Community Care Licensing conducts a home inspection;
  4. Providing you with professional development opportunities and trainings;
  5. Providing you with instructional materials for your family child care home program;
  6. Answering any questions or concerns you have with the licensing process.

Q: Where can I get training about caring for children and child care?

A: Pathways offers trainings and professional development opportunities to license exempt and licensed child care providers and their staff in our service area. Topics vary from child development, business development, children with special needs, and much more. Please see our training calendar or contact the Resource & Referral Department at (213) 427-2700.


Stage 1 Program

Q: If a participant informs me that they are eligible for child care does this mean that they are approved?

A:  A participant may be determined to be categorically eligible for child care, meaning that they meet a defined criteria based on the CalWORKs programs. However, there are other factors that

must be met by the participant and provider before child care can be approved.   A participant’s child care eligibility does not guarantee that a participant will be approved.

Q:  How many days and hours is the family authorized/approved for?

A:  When a participant’s case is approved, you will receive a notice informing you of the days, hours, rates, and effective dates (start and end date) of the child care authorization.

Q: I previously submitted a flyer with my established rates, do I need to indicate my rates on the Participant-Provider Services Agreement (St1-05)?

A:  Yes. The Participant-Provider Services Agreement is an agreement per family.  To avoid delays in the processing of these forms please indicate your rates per child. If the rate section is left

blank the form is considered incomplete and will be returned to the participant. In addition, the rates listed on the Participant-Provider Services Agreement should be consistent with what you charge private paying families.

Q:  As a provider, what should I do if the parent is requesting more days and hours of childcare than the child care approval I received?

A:  The participant must contact their Stage 1 Program Specialist to report any changes that may affect their need for child care.  For example, if the parent was approved for childcare Monday

-Friday for 5 hours per day and is now in need of childcare Monday-Friday 8 hours per day, you should refer the parent to their Stage 1 Program Specialist immediately.  The parent may or may

not be eligible for an adjustment in childcare hours. Unless you receive an approval notice from us we will not honor any additional hours of care provided outside of the authorization, the parent

would be responsible to reimburse you directly.

Q: What should I do if a child stops attending my childcare?

A:  If the parent fails to take the child to your childcare facility you should contact our office to report the absence to a Stage 1 Program Specialist.  Provider’s are required to notify the Agency

by the 5th consecutive days a child is absent.

Q:  Who do I contact if I need assistance in completing a Provider Payment Request (PPR)?

A: For your convenience, instructions on how to complete a PPR are included on the back of the form.  However, you may also contact our Stage 1 Department and schedule an appointment to

meet with one of our Program Specialists who can assist you by reviewing with you how to properly complete this form.

Q:  I am no longer providing childcare services for a parent and I cannot obtain their signature.  What can I do in order to get paid for the services I rendered?

A: We strongly recommend that you obtain the parent’s signature on the last day of services. If you have made all attempts to contact the parent and have not been successful, you may submit

the PPR with a letter attached explaining the situation.  We will attempt to contact the participant to obtain the parent’s signature on the PPR. If we are unable to get in contact with the

participant the Program Managers will review the form and make a decision on the case based on the situation. These decisions are made on a case by case basis.

Q:  Can I use white out on a Provider Payment Request (PPR)?

A:  The PPR is a legal document and the use of white out on the form is not acceptable. If a mistake is made cross out the information, make the correction and initial and date on each

correction made. We will not accept PPR’s that have information written over the white out.


Q:  What happens if the PPR is returned to me for corrections? When will I get paid?

A:   When a PPR is returned to you there will be a cover letter attached that indicates the reason(s) for the rejection.  Please make any corrections on your PPR and return to our office (make

sure to initial and date any changes).  Once the PPR is resubmitted to our office we process your reimbursement according to the new date that the PPR is received at our office.


CDE Subsidy Programs

Q: What are the CDE Child Care Subsidized Programs?

A: CDE stands for California Department of Education. The department at Pathways, known as CDE subsidy, encompasses four CDE funded programs: Stage 2, Stage 3, Alternative Payments (CAAP), and the Berendo Family Child Care Home Network. All four programs follow the regulations set by the State CDE department.

Q: I have not received an Attendance Sheet. Can you please send me one?

A: It is your responsibility to ensure that you have an Attendance Sheet prior to the beginning of the service month. If you did not receive an Attendance Sheet, please contact a Program Specialist immediately, prior to rendering services. The form will be issued to you via mail.

Q: The period indicated at the top of the Attendance Sheet does not cover the entire month. What does that mean?

A: If the period on the Attendance Sheet does not cover the entire month, it can mean several things. It is important that you contact the parent’s Program Specialist for clarification.

Q: I cannot get in contact with the parent’s Program Specialist. What should I do?

A: Although it is preferred that you speak to the parent’s Program Specialist, you may speak to anyone else in the CDE Subsidy Department at Pathways. They will forward the information to the appropriate person.

Q: A parent that was using my services stopped care and I cannot obtain their signature. What should I do?

A: It is your responsibility to have all participants sign in and out on a daily basis. In doing so there is no reason why an Attendance Sheet should be blank or missing signatures, unless it is the final signature on the bottom of the sheet which is signed at the end of the month of service. In those cases, Pathways will attempt to contact the participant for their signature; however, the signature must be obtained in order for the payment to be processed.

Q: What are the approved child care hours?

A: A notice indicating the approved child care hours will be sent to you upon the initial enrollment or whenever there is a change. It is important that you read the “comments” on the notice for the exact approved child care hours. If a participant uses hours that are outside the approved hours, Pathways does not assume responsibility for reimbursement of those hours.

Q: Am I also responsible for reporting changes about a child’s attendance?

A: Yes, both parent and provider are responsible for reporting changes to a child’s attendance. If a child has stopped attending your facility, you must report this change within 5 calendar days. If the hours the participant is taking the child to your facility have changed, you must also report this information since your reimbursement may be affected.

Q: I have a parent that is on a variable schedule. What does that mean?

A: A participant that is approved on a variable schedule has work days and hours that fluctuate. Pathways does not know the days or hours the participant is going to work ahead of time; therefore, they are approved on a variable basis. Participants on a variable schedule must submit a variable calendar and other information by the 5th day of the month. Upon assessment of the documents submitted, Pathways will determine your reimbursement.

Q: I know the variable calendar was submitted on-time. Why has my payment not been processed yet?

A: Although the variable calendar was submitted on time, additional documentation must be submitted by the parent to support their work activity. If anything is missing or incomplete, your payment will not be processed until the parent completes the process.

Q: What are my approved rates?

A: Upon approval of your Service Agreement, a copy of the approved rates is sent to you. If you did not receive a copy, please contact a Program Specialist. Also, upon approval of a new family, you are sent an Enrollment Certificate that indicates the rates that will be used to determine reimbursement for each child.

Q: I informed the Resource & Referral Department about a change to my child care facility. Do I also have to report this change to the CDE Subsidized Programs?

A: Yes. Although the Resource & Referral Department and the CDE Subsidized Programs are in the same office, they have different functions within the agency. Please contact both departments to report the change.



Q: When should the Provider Payment Request (PPR) /Attendance Sheet (AS) be submitted in order for them to be considered on time?

A: PPR’s and AS’ should be submitted by the 5th of each month. Any PPR’s /AS’ submitted after the 5th of the month will be considered late. (Please refer to the payment calendar for payment distribution). If the family you service is on a variable schedule, then a variable calendar should also be submitted by the 5th of each month to avoid any delays regarding your payment.

Q: What are some reasons that my payment may be delayed?

A: Some reasons that your payment may be delayed are: the AS/PPR was submitted after the 5th of the month, the parent’s Variable Calendar was not submitted or was submitted after the 5th of the month, your AS/PPR was submitted with mistakes and was sent back to you for correction, you did not re-submit your AS/PPR by the date indicated on your return letter, and/or the hours indicated on your AS/PPR do not match the hours that you are approved for.

Q: If my AS/PPR is returned, when will I get paid?

A: If you are enrolled with Stage 2, Stage 3, A.P., or the Berendo Child Care Network, we will honor the 2nd submission date. Payments for AS re-submitted by the 15th will be released on the 2nd business day of the following month. Payments for AS re-submitted from the 16th through the 20th will be released with the late payments (usually around the 6th; refer to the payment schedule for actual dates). Payments for AS re-submitted from the 20th through the 31st will be released with the next month’s on-time cycle (usually around the 26th; refer to the payment schedule for actual dates).

If you are a Stage 1 provider, we will honor the new stamped date of receipt.

Q: Who can I contact regarding any changes in the child’s attendance, changes in address and phone numbers?

A: Any changes must be reported within 5 business days to the Program Specialist assigned to the family you provide care for.  Failure to report any changes regarding a child’s attendance for more than five days may result in a delay in your payment or non-reimbursement.

Q: Who do I contact to enroll in your Direct Deposit program?

A: Please contact the Finance Department at Pathways to enroll in our Direct Deposit program.

Q: Should providers call on behalf of parents to clarify issues regarding information that needs to be submitted by the parent in order for the payment to be initiated?

A: No.  Due to confidentiality, Pathways will not disclose any information regarding the parent’s child care case to you.  You may only inquire information regarding your service agreement, payment or hours approved. If the parent has any questions he/she should contact their Program Specialist directly.

Q: Can the parent call on behalf of the provider to inquire about payments?

A: Due to confidentiality, Provider information will not be shared with the parent. We will not give specific information regarding a payment such as when the payment was mailed, the check number, or the exact check amount, which could include payments for other families. Parents wishing to inquire about the amount that was paid on behalf of their specific child/children may do so.

Q: Will I be paid for hours that are not authorized by Pathways?

A: No. Providers will only be reimbursed for hours that have been authorized through a Notice of Action.

Q: What do I need to do if I believe that my check amount is incorrect?

A: If you wish to have your payment reviewed please submit a Payment Review Request form to the Payment Services Department. You can obtain a form by calling the Payment Services Department to have one mailed to you or by requesting a form in person. We will contact you when your review is complete.

Q: Is it okay to make changes or modifications like crossing out a particular month or any name on the AS/PPRs?

A: No, it’s not okay to make changes or modifications to the AS/PPR. Please contact the Program Specialist assigned to the family you provide care for if the AS/PPR is incorrect.

Q: Am I considered a Pathways employee since I get reimbursed from the agency?

A: No. Pathways is not your employer. You are self-employed and sub-contracted for child care services. Pathways reimburses you on behalf of the parent enrolled in the program. Since you are not an employee of Pathways we cannot provide employment verification on your behalf or complete any employment verification paperwork for credit purposes, etc.

Q: How much does Pathways pay providers?

A: Pathways does not set payment rates for providers. We reimburse the provider according to their published public rates, what they charge their public paying parents, in accordance with the Regional Market Ceiling (RMC).

Q: How is my payment calculated?

A: Your payment is determined by numerous factors. The parents’ approved schedule, the child’s school schedule, absences, and other circumstances that may change month to month affect your payment.

Q: How do I know if I will be paid for full-time or part-time care?

A: The following chart shows how part-time and full-time hours are determined. However, the parent’s approved childcare hours will be considered when calculating full-time/part-time reimbursement.

  • Hourly Less than 30 hours a week or less than 6 hours per day
  • Daily 6 hours or more per day
  • Weekly Full Time 30 hours or more per week
  • Weekly Part Time Less than 30 hours per week
  • MonthlyFull time 30 hours or more per week (or) an average of 30 hours or more per week; care occurs on every week of the month
  • Monthly Part Time Less than 30 hours per week (or) an average of less than 30 hours per week; care occurs in every week of the month

Q: If a child is sick and unable to attend childcare, will providers be reimbursed?

A: Only licensed child care providers are eligible for payment when a child is absent. Reimbursement for absences must be included in the provider’s submitted published public policies. Licensed providers will only be reimbursed if the parent signs the back of the AS/PPR and indicates the reason why the child was absent AND if the reason for absence is considered an excused absence according to the requirements listed on the back of the AS. When a child is absent more than 5 consecutive days, a doctor's note will be required.